Our future needs a *real* plan. 🌎
On June 29th, Jason Kenney revealed his plan for economic recovery. It won't surprise you to hear there was little to celebrate.
The UCP plan:
- makes no mention of green jobs, renewable energy or economic growth through education
- pretends Alberta was already enjoying a rebound in oil prices and strong economic growth forecasts pre-COVID-19 (hint: we weren't)
- relies on accelerated corporate tax cuts
- boasts of “historic” infrastructure investment – most of which was already in the 2020-21 budget
This is a missed opportunity.
It is time to invest in a long-term strategy to transform our economy.
The Alberta Liberal plan includes:
- job-creating investments in renewables and green energy
- effective supports for the tech, tourism and film industries, not just “sector-specific strategies to be announced later” platitudes
- historic investments in education and job training
- universal child care to help women get back in the workforce
- a pro-growth sales tax and reduction of personal income taxes
- a universal basic income to provide dignity and hope for all
Alberta doesn't need to settle for a sluggish recovery that leaves us no better off than we were before. We need strategic investments in the foundation of a new, stronger, more resilient and sustainable economy.
For more information on our vision, please check out our 2019 Election Platform and 2020 Shadow Throne Speech. To support our vision, please make a donation here.
Alberta Liberal Leader David Khan issues statement on National Indigenous Peoples Day
Calgary, AB (June 21, 2020): Alberta Liberal Leader David Khan says, “National Indigenous Peoples Day is a time for Albertans and all Canadians to celebrate the cultural diversity of Indigenous peoples. I encourage everyone to learn more about the rich tradition and history of First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples across this Province and throughout Canada.