David Khan has issued the following statement on International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination:
“With the rise of xenophobic, racist and nativist politics across the globe it is more important than ever for all of us to redouble our commitment to a world free of racial intolerance. On International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, I invite all Albertans to join myself and countless others in reaffirming our commitment to eradicating racial discrimination in its every vile form.”
“It is particularly important in Canada to recognize the persistent racial inequality faced by Indigenous peoples, who face higher rates of poverty, infant mortality and incarceration, among many other inequities rooted in racist colonial policies from Canada’s past and present. It is our responsibility as a province and nation to make strides towards addressing these challenges.”
Liberal MLA David Swann has released the following statement on gun violence and proposed federal legislation on gun control:
Gun violence is a public health and safety issue, not just a criminal justice issue. It causes direct loss of life and injury as well as far-reaching emotional and mental health issues.
I stand with the Coalition for Gun Control in their call for a more comprehensive strategy. I applaud the Federal Government Bill for taking steps such as an improved screening process and stricter record keeping requirements for gun retailers. However, the federal government needs to consider other actions including:
- More rigorous screenings, including more routine licensing checks and interval reassessments.
- Banning of assault weapons capable of automatic function and sniper rifles.
- Regularly updating the prohibited and restricted lists consistent with the advice of police experts.
- Launching a national awareness program to highlight the risks associated with firearms in suicide, homicide and unintentional injuries
- Reinstating evidence based approaches which consider firearms in the context not just of street crime but domestic violence, suicide, and injury.
- Increase public awareness by providing open and transparent access to data on guns and gun ownership, firearms death and injury.
- Establishing a system to track all gun sales and eliminate the loop holes that allow secondary sales with no accountability.
- Harmonize reporting of fire arm injuries across Canada.
We must take comprehensive action including education, access to data and the health impacts on Canadian citizens if we are to fully address the harms of gun violence in our society.
Liberal MLA David Swann says, “The NDP Government should immediately boost frontline resources for EMS across Alberta.”
“AHS statistics show EMS events are up almost 19% over 5 years but there has been only a 2.9% increase in new ambulances and 3.4% increase in new full-time equivalent paramedics.”
“EMS is struggling to meet day-to-day demands of Albertans and the situation is escalating.”
“The opioid crisis is only making the crisis worse and lives are at stake.”
“When ambulances cannot reach patients in a timely fashion the safety of those patients is put at risk.”
Liberal Leader David Khan says, “There are more than 63,000 extra EMS calls over the past 5 years and EMS is stretched to the limits to handle the needs of over 500,000 new Albertans.”
“The NDP Government must not only provide additional resources but improve the efficiency of the system with paramedics spending 650,000 hours per year in ER awaiting patient transfers to nursing staff.”